Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Interview with Melinda Valentine





I would like to introduce a sensational author to you today! Let's take a look at Melinda Valentine:



Welcome, Melinda! Can you start by telling us something about yourself?

I’m married to the same boy I had a crush on in the 4th grade. Our love story sounds just like a romance novel. One day I may try to give it justice. 

I have 3 kids and an amazing family. I’m the youngest child with 3 brothers. No need for condolences though, they’re pretty cool … most of the time. Don’t tell them that though. I guarantee it will go to their heads. 

I’m an extroverted introvert, I’m quiet if I don’t know you. I keep to myself and will have my head in a book whenever possible. If you’re a part of my inner circle, you just laughed at all of that except the part about having my head in a book.

 I believe music and chocolate soothe the soul, and I’ve never met a dirty word I didn’t like to use.  


Could you let us in on what you’re working on now?

Currently, I’m working on Fear Inc.: Volume Three to wrap up the Fear Inc. trilogy. This one has been a long time coming. It’s been a labor of love for sure. 


Which of your stories is your favorite?

My favorite? Moon Awakened. Not only is it my first splash into the paranormal world of werewolves, but it’s also my first full length self-published novel. It was a great learning experience and let’s face it, Riley is H-O-T. I loved writing him. 


What’s your inspiration?

The story lines come from everywhere. A song I hear, a phrase someone says, or for a specific example: I was watching the ID Channel (LOVE this channel) it was a story about a murder suspect who was an identical twin. They couldn’t say for certain which twin was guilty because the DNA was the same. I spun that around in to a mistaken identity/secret baby story in For Your Love.  

As for characters, my husband is a huge inspiration. My heroes all have some quality he does or something that reminds me of him. He was definitely the “Alpha male who met his match”. I may or may not like to rub that in now and again. 


How and when did you begin writing?

I began writing horrible horror stories when I was 12 years old. I had read IT by Stephen King and I knew I wanted to do when I grew up. My tastes in genre changed somewhat as I got older and discovered romance *swoon* and I started writing Happily Ever Afters. However, I didn’t get the nerve to submit anything to a publishing house until late 2016, and in 2017 my first story, For Your Love (then titled Until Eternity) was published. 


What is one of your favorite books by another author?

The dreaded question of any voracious reader. There are SO many. How can I pick just one? How about a favorite out of my recently read pile. Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson. Single dad. Enemies to lovers. Listen, the feels….omg. If you haven’t read it, pick it up. 


Have you considered writing in other genres?

I considered it (Thriller/Horror) but when it all boils down, I enjoy writing about love. This world is so ugly sometimes, I want to add some love and happiness even if it is in this one small way. 


What is your writing process? Do you need silence or music?

I am a pantser and a linear writer. When I sit down to write I literally type Chapter One and begin with little to no notes. I know how I want them to start and where I think they will end. 

I prefer to have music playing. However, any background noise will do. 

Now when it comes to editing, I need Raisinets and more often than not, coffee.  


How long does it usually take you to write a book?

It really does vary depending on the project. I have written a first draft in 30 days. I’ve had a first draft take 4 years. 


Have you ever had the dreaded Writer’s Block?

Absolutely! The main reason one project took 4 years.  


Do you have pets?

We do! 3 rescue puppies of all ages. All of them are hound mixes. Bobby (part Bassett) Finn (Bluetick/Cattle dog), and Emmylou (Norwegian Elkhound/Coonhound) I always have my eyes open looking for our next hound rescue.   


What is your favorite part of writing? Do you have favorite plots?

My favorite part is creating a world/characters from nothing. It’s fun to see where my imagination takes me. Having readers fall in love with those stories is a close second though. 

I tend to lean toward alpha heroes with big hearts and dirty minds. A few of my storylines have featured surprise pregnancies. 


Anything new on the horizon?

After I finish up Fear 3, I’m jumping back into Alabaster City (Moon Awakened), and the Fitzgerald family. There are a few more siblings to explore. 


Do you have anything that you absolutely need to have in order to write?

Only some time where no one asks me for anything. That can be hard to come by as a mom. It doesn’t matter how old they are.


Could you tell me the heat rating of your books out of 5 flames?

My books are open door. Even if there is only one actual sexy time, it’s 5 flames. 


Who is your main source of support for your writing? Mine is my husband and children.

My whole family is incredibly supportive. My parents, brothers, and my kids all encourage and cheer me on.  

However, my husband is my number one. Since we started dating, he’s gone to every event with me. He brainstorms with me when I’m stuck. Tells me when I’ve pushed myself too far and I need a break and is there to help with anything else I need. 


Is there anything you’d like to add?

Thank you for having me. It was a pleasure. 




If you would like to find and follow Melissa on social media:

Website: www.melindavalentine.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/@Author_MelindaV

Instagram: http://instagram.com/Author.melindavalentine

Facebook: http://facebook.com/Author.melindavalentine

Goodreads: http://goodreads.com/Author.melindavalentine


1 comment:

Great Article about Signings!

This month I want to share the following article, with a shout out to Jessica Hallet for a well-written piece! It's here: https://shopve...