Monday, June 19, 2023

Great Article about Signings!


This month I want to share the following article, with a shout out to Jessica Hallet for a well-written piece!

It's here: https://shopververomance.com/blogs/news/attending-my-first-book-signing. Be sure to visit her site!

Attending my First Book Signing

JULY 19, 2022

By Jessica Hallett

It's been on my list to go to a convention-style book event for a long time. When I joined Bookstagram and opened my eyes to the vast world of romance—and all of the amazing events, charities, and opportunities this genre constantly creates—I knew I had to go.

But then the dreaded C . . . Covid.

I attended multiple virtual book signings during 2020 and 2021, where I met more and more people in the romance community—like seriously, I could cry thinking about the friends I have met, you know who you are, and you're the best. But I had not yet had the chance to walk the long aisles of tables set up with swag, banners, and piles of books to add to the large collection I own but have yet to read.

Nor had I experienced the best part of a book signing. Talking face-to-face with authors who have written some of my favorite love stories and most delicious book boyfriends and who have inspired and selflessly encouraged me to follow my own dream and join them behind those tables as an author one day.

But I had heard all the stories of special appearances, bookish vendors, infamous book carts, and the dos and don'ts, like do NOT wear open-toed shoes, from various friends and Bookstagrammers.

I was ready.

Finally, after a grueling wait, my time came! Talkbooks Author Event, held in Massachusetts, was happening, and I wasn't going to miss my chance. With my ticket bought and babysitter secured, I was going to be among my people for one whole glorious day.

The night before, I dug through my closet, looking for the perfect outfit to take pictures with some of my favorite authors. I mean, M. Robinson was going to be there. M. Robinson, guys! I carefully stacked my previously purchased books into a canvas bag; I didn't feel I was in the know enough yet to commit to a book cart. Then, I lay in bed trying to rehearse what I would say to each author. Yes, I am that much of a nerd; I will role-play my conversations to avoid coming across like a crazy fangirl. (Definitely didn't work, BTW. I still sent those crazy fangirl vibes.)

The next day, as I pulled into the Marriott Parking lot, applied my lip gloss, and checked my hair, the excitement coursed through my body as I watched fellow book lovers loading up their bags and carts and heading for the entrance. I even noticed a few people bringing books back to their cars to switch out and grab their next stack for signing. Thiswas when I knew for certain I had found my place.

Now, let this be said . . . I am not a shy person; I never really have been. When I say I can talk to anyone, I seriously mean anyone. It's not unlike me to leave a store knowing the clerk's entire life story. But when I walked in, I admit, I was really nervous. I attended the event alone, and though I normally am a huge fan of doing things by myself, I had a moment of really wishing my bookish girlfriends were by my side.

I entered the main ballroom and just stood in shock. So many authors, so many books. It was better than my dreams. I was first met by the amazing author B. Celeste who informed me it was her first signing event as well. Her kindness immediately put me at ease, and though I stumbled on my words and made some VERY awkward comments, I slowly found my rhythm as I walked from table to table.

I know I have said this again and again, but the kindness and the sense of belonging I felt at this event—in this community as a whole—is one of the best things that has happened to me. I am grateful for the authors who generously gave me writing advice, the friends that I have made, and the strangers at events like Talkbooks, who allowed me to share a table and chat while we rearranged our books and refueled our bodies with snacks and water in preparation for our next walkthrough.

So, I hope that if you have ever considered attending one of these events, this article helps persuade you. And if so, here are a few of my own tips to consider:

1. Get a good night's sleep the night before, because boy, you're going to need it.

2. It's a given, but comfortable shoes. If you want to protect those pedicures, or even your phalanges themselves, you'll definitely want a comfy closed-toe shoe.

3. Pre-buy books you know you definitely want to have signed. Don't chance it; authors are traveling from all over and can't always bring their entire backlogs, hardbacks, or special edition covers.

4. Check your anthologies and see if any of the included authors are going to your book signing! I took Nightingale:A Charity Anthology for Ukraine with me, and it was really fun to get some of the individual stories signed!

5. Buy a book cart. I didn't. So, I repeat: buy a book cart.

6. Save some of your book allowance for "new-to-you" authors. As much fun as it was to meet some of my absolute favorite writers, I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed talking to authors I had never heard of before and asking them to pick out a book for me to try. I even met one of my now good friends that way!

7. Don't be afraid to talk to other attendees. I ended up in many lines having amazing conversations with fellow Bookstagrammers, who I had talked to online but had no idea would be there, and met some great new people!

8. Bring snacks, and drink lots of water; this is like an Olympic sport, people.

9. If you are able, stay the night and go to any of the after-party events they have planned. I didn't, but I wish I had and plan to next year!

10. When you get home, reward yourself for a hard day's work with a drink of your choice, a bubble bath, and a sign on the door telling your family you are booked.

The romance community is one of the most wildly fantastic communities I have ever been a part of. I seriously can't get enough and will be riding the high I am still on from Talkbooks Author Event until I can get myself to the next one.

Book Bonanza 2023, anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Article about Signings!

This month I want to share the following article, with a shout out to Jessica Hallet for a well-written piece! It's here: https://shopve...